Our Family Is Here To Serve Yours

Photo of attorneys Ashley Meyer and Eric Meyer

Can I sue an apartment complex for an injury?

On Behalf of | Apr 25, 2022 | Personal Injury

If you’ve been injured on the premises of your apartment complex, you may be within your rights to sue the landlord or the complex’s management. If you’re asking yourself if you can sue your apartment complex, keep reading to learn more.

What is my apartment complex liable for when it comes to my safety?

Typically, your apartment complex or landlord is responsible for making necessary repairs to the property. But it’s important to note that they cannot make repairs they’re unaware of. So, make sure to report any safety concerns to the management office or landlord.

Can I sue an apartment complex for my injury?

The short answer is yes, but it’s more complicated than that. The key word is negligence. If you’re injured on the premises and your injury is due to the negligence of the apartment complex or the landlord, then you are well within your rights to sue the apartment complex. So, if you were aware of a potential safety concern, but failed to report it, the landlord may not be held liable. But if you have reported your concerns (like damaged steps on the premises) and the landlord has failed to address them, a case for negligence can be made.

What can I sue my apartment complex for?

There are a variety of reasons that can justify suing your apartment complex. Some of these include:

  • Uninhabitable living conditions
  • Illegal entry
  • Housing discrimination
  • Violating rental agreement laws
  • Illegally withholding your security deposit
  • Failing to reimburse you for repairs
  • Unlawful eviction

If you feel any of these may apply to your situation, don’t hesitate to contact us and we can help you determine your next steps.

How do I sue an apartment complex?

Before suing your apartment complex, here are the steps you need to follow:

  1. Draft a complaint
  2. Deliver an official copy of your complaint to your landlord or the apartment complex’s office
  3. Go to court

Before you take any of these steps, we strongly suggest that you contact us or another lawyer first. We can help to walk you through the necessary steps to make sure you’re doing everything you can to present a strong case.